Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Night Date Night: Beautiful Creatures

Friday Night Date Night is a feature on my blog that showcases movie reviews (mostly movies that were adapted from books). Hopefully some of these reviews will help you decide what to watch on your date night or a night of relaxing at home.

6304335

Long ago when I heard that Beautiful Creatures was going to be made into a movie I was excited and scared.  We all know the movie never lives up the books and the world that Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl created was beautiful and complex. 

Did I think that the movie nailed the book?  No, far from it but I went into the movie differently than I have before.  I didn't reread the book before I watched the movie...GRASP.  I know completely crazy right?  Anyway I found I didn't remember every little detail and I could just enjoy the movie for what it was, a loose interpretation for the novel.  I cannot say for sure how well the movie aligned with the novel, because honestly I don't remember as much about the novel as I should have.  However, I had a feeling while I was watching it that the story was slightly off than what I was used to, especially the ending.  

Beautiful Creatures (2013) Poster

As for the characters I did enjoy Alden Ehrenreich as Ethan and I loved Emmy Rossum as Ridley, but I wasn't feeling Alice Englert as Lena.  I cannot say exactly what is was about her or the acting, but that was not the Lena I imagined in my head and I could not reconcile the difference.  

The setting, however, was just as I imagined Gatlin County to be like.  It was haunted and gorgeous.

While there were some issues I had with the movie, overall I did enjoy it + it made me want to go back and reread the novel.  Always a good thing in my book! 

What are your plans for this Friday Night?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.