Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Review of MILA 2.0 by Debra Driza

Mila 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)Title: MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
Author: Debra Driza
Published by: HarperCollins
Pages: 480
Source: Publisher/Edelweiss
Format: ebook
Rating: 4 stars

Summary from Goodreads : Mila was living with her mother in a small Minnesota town when she discovered she was also living a lie. 

She was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was never supposed to remember the past—that she was built in a computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much, and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology.

Evading her enemies won't help Mila escape the cruel reality of what she is and cope with everything she has had to leave behind. However, what she's becoming is beyond anyone's imagination, including her own, and that just might save her life.

Futuristic, fun, and filled with action; MILA 2.0 is a book you wouldn't want to miss.  

What a wild ride.  While this book started out a bit slower, it ended with a spectacular fireworks.  Looking back I can't believe how much was crammed between the pages.  Seriously, by the end of the story there were games, explosions, high speed chases, crazy androids, and murderous scientists.  I flew through the pages trying to figure out how it was going to end and who was going to live.  It was a bit exhilarating.      

While Mila was just trying to be a normal teenager, things soon go south for her when she realizes she is a artificial being who is highly coveted.  Even though Mila is not human, she does have the emotions of a teenage girl making her both weaker and stronger for it.  This really plays out towards the end of the story as she uses her emotions to not only fights to save her own life, but also those of people she truly cares for.  

The one area of MILA 2.0 that I wasn't sold on was the characters.  Yes, I liked them, but I didn't connect with them.  Maybe it was due to the fact that Mila isn't human, but I never felt like I got to understand her or some of the other characters.  But I have to say that Debra Driza did a great job at creating the villains.  They were so creepy and scary people that I would not want to find myself alone with them...ever.  

While part of Mila's story came to a close, there was a lot left open which I think will lead nicely into the next book in the series.  


5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review. Sounds like an action book that I would like, as well as my students. I'm putting it on the list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This sounds amazing.

    I'll have to pick it up. Hopefully, I'll be able to connect with the characters better. My hubs accuses me of over-sympathizing with synthetic life in fiction, particularly the Mass Effect series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely an action packed book! I didn't really connect with the characters, either, and was somewhat disappointed by that, but it was definitely a fun ride once the action got going. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love an awesome hate-worthy villain. I am sorry you had a hard time connecting with the other characters, I just finished a book that was the same for me until the very end.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.