Monday, December 24, 2012

Review of Bah, Humbug! by Heather Horrocks

Title: Bah, Humbug! A Romantic Comedy Novella
Author: Heather Horrocks
Published by: Word Garden Press
Pages: 96
Source: Obtained free from Amazon (12/19/12)
Format: ebook
Rating: 3 stars

Summary from GoodreadsLexi Anderson is an up-and-coming, Martha Stewart-type TV hostess whose two kids love the Jared Strong adventure novels, which happen to be written by their new neighbor, Kyle Miller. For the first time in his writing career, Kyle has writer’s block--until he sees the snowman on his lawn and realizes it’s the perfect solution to his plot problem. He digs in and discovers two things: one, his villain’s weapon will fit inside a snowman's body, and two, this particular snowman was supposed to be the backdrop for Lexi’s next show. From this improbable beginning comes friendship, but can there be a happy ending for a woman who is afraid to get close again and a man who has shadows from his childhood? Families join together and hearts are healed as this couple goes walking in a winter wonderland.

I'm a sucker for a good Christmas romance around the holiday season.  I don't feel like I'm in the spirit until I'm curled up with some tea and a Christmas story while it's gently snowing outside.  Luckily, mother nature corroborated this year and so at the last minutes I found some Christmas stories to help make this season magical for me. 

Bah, Humbug! was a fun holiday story.  Surprisingly, even though it was fairly short I felt like you got to know the main characters well.  Lexi is positive, determined and has written off love.  Being a decorator the holiday season is her time to shine.  She takes her job seriously and by creating the perfect atmosphere she feels she can spread good cheer.  That is until she meets Kyle Miller.  Kyle hates the holiday season and so when these two meet sparks fly.

While the story is a bit cheesy, I still enjoyed it.  It actually touched me in many ways.  There were some emotional parts where the characters were dealing with grief that brought tears to my eyes and other parts that touched my heart.  I have to admit though that the ending was a little much.  I had a hard time wrapping my head around the last couple of pages and while it didn't ruin the story, I think that it made it less powerful.

If you need a quick Holiday story to help you get in the spirit, Bah, Humbug! is a fun read, just ignore the ending.       

1 comment:

  1. I love short stories around this time of year. And especially if they involve romance and christmas. Perfect combination. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.