Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Night Date Night

Friday Night Date Night is a feature on my blog that showcases movie review (mostly movies that were adapted from books).  Hopefully some of these reviews will help you decide what to watch on your date night or a night of chillin with the girls.
Love and Other Drugs
This last week my brother-in-law was out of town so I got to have a little bonding time with my favorite (and only sibling) sister after my niece was tucked in tight.  We decided the perfect way to end a stressful day was to lose ourselves in some Hollywood action with heartthrob Jake Gyllenhaal.
 
I heard amazing things about this movie and I remember wanting to go see it in the theaters, so I'm not quite sure why I waited so long to see this movie.  I apparently knew nothing about this movie (or the book it was based on) because it was a lot deeper than I thought.  We were all ready for a light and fun romcom, and Love and Other Drugs was not that.  
 
Maybe if I was in a different mood I would have liked this movie better, but it just wasn't for me.  I didn't really enjoyed the "glamorized" life of pharmaceutical sales or grown up pajama parties (and not the kind with fuzzy slippers).  There was an awful lot of Jamie (Jake) sleeping around and just some awkward moments throughout the movie.  I'm sure this had a lot to do with me expecting one sort of movie and getting a totally different one, but the way the story was presented turned me off of it.  I loved the scenes between Jamie and Maggie, but the rest was too over the top for me.
I did enjoy the character of Maggie (Anne Hathaway).  She was a very strong individual dealing with a tough disease.  She felt very real to me.  Yes she understood the hand she was dealt, but it wasn't always sunshine and happiness, there were days of pain and loneliness too.   Anne Hathaway made her character jump off the screen for me.   
 
While this movie wasn't a Hollywood hit for me the last 10 minutes or so were breathtaking.  It ended perfectly and left us with a wonderful message about love.  
 
Want to know more?
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Not sure about this one. I thought it was going to be light, hearted movie too..too bad that it isn't. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two films I've seen Anne Hathaway in, she's played characters that died. So I'm sort of wary about watching her next movie. Why is it always the female leads that die? Just saying.
    Cool post. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.