Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Adult Review of Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

Title: Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood #3)
Author: J.R. Ward
Published by: Penguin Group
Pages: 464
Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Rating: ★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her...

When I asked people what was their favorite Black Dagger Brotherhood novel almost everyone responded that it was Lover Awakened.  For some reason the resident bad boy of the brotherhood was the one that melted everyone's hearts.  Did I end up agreeing with everyone...YES (though I may be kind unqualified to answer this because I've only read three of the books so far).  This novel invoked so many unexpected emotions and had more depth then the usual paranormal romance. 

Zsadist flat out scared me in the other novels.  Don't get me wrong, I found him extremely sexy and hot as hell, but he was one to look at and not touch.  While other novels hinted at his past as a blood slave this novel really told us the down and dirty of what went on.  There is no glossing over the horror in this novel and Zsadist's background is one to make you understand his tough exterior.  If that doesn't melt your heart on Zsadist than the ending will.  Zsadist and Bella's story is one of change and hope.

Bella knew she wanted Zsadist from the minute she saw him.  No matter how much he scared her and mistreated her, she knew there was more behind the hard exterior and scared face.  I really admire her.  She knew what (or should I say who) she wanted and went after it.  She saw something good and pure in Zsadist that not even his brother could find.  She never gave up hope and for that I think she is a saint.

This is one steamy book.  I'm sure I was blushing multiple times while I was reading this book.  J.R. Ward sure knows how to write scenes that will leave you feeling more than a little warm and breathless.  She also knows how to write huge unexpected twists.  There is one part in Lover Awakened that I'm extremely sad and upset about.  I don't want to give too much away, but I felt heartbroken and angry that she overturned a wonderful and pure situation.  I'm sure it will lead to a future story line of importance but at the time it seemed unnecessary.

If Lover Awakened doesn't make you addicted to this series than I don't know what else will. 

8 comments:

  1. Great review, I really love this book. Zsadist's story is so emotional. Zsadist and Bella are a great couple to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really enjoy the interactions between Zsadist and Bella. They definitely had a explosive relationship.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you liked his book. I think Bella is one of my most favorite heroines and it's because of how she accepted Z, and wanted him right away. Have you read Father Mine yet? It's a short story that takes place somewhere in the middle. I can't remember exactly where, but it will break your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Father Mine. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Perfect review of this book! Zadist is definitely one of my favorite vamps from this series. Like you said, he's got such a tough and scary exterior, but when he warms up to Bella he's the sweetest (and it leaves you blushing for sure). I absolutely love this series and I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the books!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up buying the next book even before I was finished reading Lover Awakened because I was so enthralled with it and knew I had to have the next one immediately.

      Delete
  4. I need to read this series. To be honest, I have always overlooked the series before because the covers are cheesy but you make them sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have them in ebook form so I don't have to worry about the covers...it's a good way to get around that slight embarrasment when other people give you the eye.

      Delete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.