Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Today I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone (whether you liked them or not)
War1. War by Sebastian Junger.  I went to listen to Sebastian Junger talk about this book and it got me intrigued.  I've never read a war book from a solider's perspective and the thought that it was real and still happening today made it all the more unique to my usual reads. 

2. Room by Emma Donoghue.  The topic of this book it what threw me.  The whole though of reading about a young women and her son held captive is not my usual read.  I thought it would be more graphic and I'm very thankful that it wasn't.

3. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.  I'm not a huge short story fan but I liked how this was a set of short stories that was all interconnected.

4. Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling.  This was my first fantasy read.  I'd never read a fantasy book before and I thought that I woudn't like it.

Twilight (Twilight, #1)5. Twilight by Stephanie Meyers.  This was my first paranormal book and just like the fantasy genre I didn't think I'd be a fan...now I'm in love with vamps, though I tend to enjoy the non vegetarian type a little more now. 

I can't think of any other books that I've read that are outside of my comfort zone, but I can list some topics of books that would be so outside my comfort zone I wouldn't read them
1. Clowns...I don't like clowns.  In fact, they freak me out to no end
2. Birds...Again I'm not a fan of birds at all.
3. Brutal vivd abuse...I don't think I could handle reading anything too descriptive.  I'd either be crying hysterically or getting sick

What about you?  Are there any topics that are a direct no read for you? 

1 comment:

  1. Omg birds freak me out too! I can't even describe what is it, but they just need to stay as far away as possible.

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.