Saturday, August 13, 2011

Review of The Sweetest Thing by Christina Mandelski

Title: The Sweetest Thing
Author: Christina Mandelski
Published by: EgmontUSA 
Pages: 352
Source: Library
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 


Summary from GoodreadsIn the world of Sheridan Wells, life is perfect when she's decorating a cake. Unfortunately everything else is a complete mess: her mom ran off years ago, her dad is more interested in his restaurant, and the idea of a boyfriend is laughable. But Sheridan is convinced finding her mom will solve all her problems - only her dad's about to get a cooking show in New York, which means her dream of a perfect family will be dashed. Using just the right amount of romance, family drama, and cute boys, The Sweetest Thing will entice fans with its perfect mixture of girl-friendly ingredients.


Sheridan is haunted by her past.  She knows her mother still loves her and Sheridan is determined to find her and put her family back together.  Her plans seem to get thwarted when her dad lands the job of a lifetime...a cooking show in New York.

I completely understand Sheridan is hurting.  I would be completely devastated if my mother had  walked out on my father and I and only made contact through a birthday card once a year.  However, I feel her actions were a little unrealistic.  I feel I that after almost eight years that I'd still be hurt but I'd also be angry and not just a little angry but royally pissed off.  I never got that feeling from Sheridan, she still was under the impression that her mom would just return after being completely absent for 8 years and they could be a family again.  

As for the writing I really enjoyed the story line.  I loved hearing about Sheridan decorating cakes and her father making succulent meals.  The ending was a little predictable but it was still a cute story.  

The only thing I would have liked different (well besides a totally different attitude from Sheridan) would be for the characters to be deeper.  I didn't really feel like I got to know the characters or feel any attachment to them.  

Overall this was a cute read, but it left me wanting more out of the story.       

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cute read. I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally want to read this just because the cover is so pretty! I know, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover and all that - but it's just so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.