Saturday, August 27, 2011

Review of Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Title: Fury
Author: Elizabeth Miles
Published by: Simon Pulse
Pages: 352
Source: Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab
Format: Ebook
Rating: ★★

Summary from Goodreads: It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems... Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed. In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.

Yikes...this book scared me.  I feel like from now on I have to be perfect because I definitely don't want these Furies coming after me.  The Furies were some hardcore ladies.  I think I'd rather face some crazy ex-boyfriend than be targeted by this bunch...they were all kinds of horrible, scary, give you nightmares for month kind of chickas.  I love Greek Mythology and I knew a little about the Furies but I guess I didn't realize how cruel and conniving they could be. 

To give all you Greek Mythology novices (including me) a little more insight into Furies, the website Greek Mythology states 

"The Furies; Tisiphone, Megaera and Alecto, emerged from the blood of Uranus when he was castrated.[Ummm...YUCK (my comment not the website's)] They relentlessly persued wrong-doers to death. They drove many of the wrong-doers to suicide. The Furies were also known as the Erinnyes."

I definitely should have read this description before I read Fury, so I knew what I was getting myself into.  I'm not one for being scared when reading a book and I have an extremely hard time reading about bullying and that happened a lot in this novel and not just from the Furies but from many of the human characters as well. 

I didn't really connect to, or in fact like, any of the characters except JD (who was completely fab and definitely cute boy next door type).  They were selfish and hurtful people.  I didn't understand a lot of Em and Chase's actions and often wanted to sit them down and give them a stern talking to...or a nice right hook.

The writing however was fabulous.  Elizabeth Miles really made you feel the story and transports the readers into this alternate reality.  Any novel that can evoke strong emotions or feel real enough to scare the bejesus out of me has to have great writing.     

If you are up for a great scary story, full of mystery, action and full out spookiness this is definitely a book for you!   

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree with you on all counts! I just read this one recently and I really enjoyed the writing! Chace was an absolutely horrendous character - very selfish and idiotic. And Em was very confusing at times and I honestly felt that she needed a good talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not reading this one. It sounds awful and the characters sound really mean. Thanks for the review! I do like the cover, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fury really does have a lot of things going for it. It's a very fresh idea with edge of your seat creepiness thrown in. I do wish that Em and Chase could have teamed up just a bit more, but I was still very happy with the book. There were so many twists and turns...and completely unexpected events that made it almost impossible to put down. This was a fantastic debut and I am anxious for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.