Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Today I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


Top Ten Books Tackling "Tough" Issues (social, cultural, etc.)

1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.  I'm assuming most people know what this is about but if not I won't ruin it for anyone since you don't figure it out until the end.

2. Wither by Lauren DeStefano.  Polygamy, child pregnancy, and ignorance are all issues featured in this novel.

3. Shine by Lauren Myracle.  Poverty, prejudices, physical abuse, and drug abuse are all discussed in this gripping mystery.

4. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.  This novel deals with Junior's life both on the Native American reservation and in the 'white' town where he is trying to better his education.

5. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.  This is the story of Lia's struggles with an eating disorder and how it controls her life.

6. Thirteen Reason Why by Jay Asher.  A heart-breaking story about bullying and how people's actions affect others. 

7. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.  A novel about how different people come in different shapes, sizes, personalities and sexual orientations.

8. The Help by Kathyrn Stockett.  Amazing novel about how African American maids were treated in the 1960s by their employers and those who defied the norm of the times.

9. Animal Farm by George Orwell.  This was my first political, over-throw the government book.  It still sticks with me after reading over a decade ago. 

10. The Hunger Games Triology by Suzanne Collins.  Another set of books with the message to stand up for yourself, fight for what you believe in and challenge the government if you belive it's wrong. 

9 comments:

  1. I love all the books you picked I have only read one on your list. You however did just give me 9 more to put on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my close friends just finished The Help and she said it was wonderful! Would you recommend it for someone who generally prefers YA?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sash and Em
    I normally read YA and I loved it but it is more of an adult book. I think the novel is gripping enough with it's issues that most people will like it. I also has an amazing audio version, or you can 'cheat' and see the movie, it's coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices! I haven't read Wither yet but I keep hearing great things so I'll be sure to check it out.

    Here's my Top 10: http://bit.ly/qJiozA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read many of these but I definitely want to now. Great choice on The Hunger Games - there are a lot of themes in that series (corrupt politics, media propaganda, poverty and social class issues, etc.) that often get overlooked by the central survival plot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, why didn't I think of Will Grayson, Will Grayson! Good list!

    Follower!

    Please visit my blog and sign-up for my first ever giveaway!

    Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It amazing how many books are on all the lists.

    My Top Ten

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-books-that-tackle-tough-issues.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had Speak, Shine, Wintergirls, and The Help in common. I also agree with the others you have on your list.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Animal Farm is one of my all time favorites.
    Thanks for stopping by my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.