Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Today I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

 Top Ten Books You Believe Should Be Required Reading For Teens (contemporary, YA, adult fic, whatever you fancy)
1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.  This is such a powerful novel and I think it would be a great discussion book for teens.

2. Thirteen Reason Why by Jay Asher.  I think this would help students understand how their actions, no matter how small they are, affect others.

3.To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I was required to read this novel and I love the message it gives out.  I still re-read it to this day.

4. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.  This was another book that I was required to read and it changed how I viewed the Holocoust.

5. Little Bee by Chris Cleave.  Often required reading focuses on the "big" events in history, but this novel would help with some of the current issues including genocide.

6. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.  This is a novel about a girl with an eating disorder and her day to day struggles.  The only thing that would make me apprehensive is that it could give some people who were battling these diseases certain ideas that would aid their sickness instead of help to over come it. 

7. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.  Amazing novel!

8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  This has one of the most beautiful discriptions of grief and death I have ever read.  Death is so gentle when he comes to claim his victums that it's heartbreaking.

9. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.  This is another great book to discuss how your actions affect others and how to learn there are some things you just have to accept.

10. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E Pearson.  I would have loved to have read this and discussed the sitations that arose in my ethics course.  It brings a lot of important issues to the table. 

What about you?  I'd love to hear what you think should be required reading for teens.

12 comments:

  1. I have only read two you have on the list. Neither I can remember all that much about so they didn't make my listy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have several books in common. Don't you just adore The Book Thief? I wish everyone would read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good list. A lot of these I have heard about but never read and I'm dying to. Number the Stars and To Kill A Mockingbird for sure. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a lot of these but the ones I have I definitely agree about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I'm particularly partial to Thirteen Reasons Why and The Book Thief. I think they both would be great conversation starters for teens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES, yes yes on Anne Frank. And I'm glad to see someone including Before I Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your list. I've read some and some I've had on my TBR for awhile that I think I'll just have to give in and purchase. In fact, I'm bookmarking this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great list. When I was teaching, Speak was required reading for all of the students. Many of them liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree about 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'The Diary of Anne Frank'. Interesting idea for 'The Adoration of Jenna Fox' as well... it would definitely make for a great debate in ethics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. +JMJ+

    Yours must be the only list that has picked Number the Stars instead of The Giver! Why would you say it is the more important read?

    Incidentally, I tutored a fifth-grade boy who had to read Number the Stars. It was a good choice for his reading level, but probably not the best pick for his all-boys school. They could hardly relate to Annemarie and Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I own three of these books, but I haven't yet read them, and of the other books on the list I've read two. I like your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really want to read 'to kill a mockingbird' and i'm intrigued by 'Winter girls'.
    I also have 'Before i fall' on my bookshelf but haven't felt like reading it for some reason..
    great picks!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.