Monday, July 25, 2011

Review of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Title: Revolution
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Published by: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 472
Source: Own
Format: ARC
Rating: ★★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.


One of my best friends gave me this book for Christmas.  We had both read A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly for our Young Adult book club and loved her writing.  I was really excited to read this novel, but like usual it got pushed to the bottom of my TBR pile.  I finally picked it up and I can't believe I waited this long to read it.

This novel is simply stunning.  Jennifer Donnelly's writing is so beautiful that it really transports you to another place.  She has a poetic style that weaves melodies and words throughout the novel and you feel as if you are reading lyrics instead of story. 

The characters in this novel, especially Andi, Alex, Virgil and Louis-Charles, steal your heart and become part of your life.  They may not be perfect but they are real and courageous.  I really grew to care for them and hoped, no craved, for their stories to turn out happy. 

With new surprises on every page, this novel with take your breath away and find a place in your heart.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea of this one. The thought of using a diary to fall into someone else's world has always been fascinating for me and I would love to give it a try. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds that the characters really have depth in this book and I love that. I have this on my tbrlist, looking forward reading this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too. There was just something magical and awesome about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Right?! Is this book not just insanely stunning?! Sigh. SUCH a well written, phenomenal book. It's one I can't wait to reread.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.