Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Today I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Settings In Books (All those real or imagined locations/worlds you loved reading about OR settings you think would be perfect in a book)
1. Hogwarts from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling.  This is the most magical, wonderfully exciting place I can think of.  I'd have loved to go to school there and learn all the wicked cool things they did. 

2. St. Vladimir's Academy from The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead.  This is where Rose learned how to kick some serious butt and of course where she fell in love with the amazingly gorgeous and god-like Dimitri.

3. The Gallagher Academy from The Gallagher Girls Series by Ally Carter.  This is an all-girls spy school.  I'm not so sure I would have loved the no boys thing growing up,but  I definitely would have loved learning how to be a spy.

4. Camp Half-Blood from The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan.  This is where all the demi-gods train to be warriors and to hone their natural skill inherited from their Greek god parents.  I think I'd make a excellent demi-god (or Greek god if they are adding any or kicking some out) and I love the camaraderie of the place.  

5. The Circus from Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  Sara Gruen paints a picture of the circus that makes everyone want to go see it in it's glory days.  If only the circus was the same as it was back then (without the animal and human cruelty) I think I'd go the circus every time it was in town.

6. The Burrow from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling.  This is the epitome of a home.  There is always family, friends, good food, and entertainment at this majestic place.  It's not too pristine or pretentious but it is lived in and loved. 

7.  Fangtasia from The Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris.  I have to admit the only reason this place made my list is because Eric works there and hopefully I'd get to see him every time I came in.   

8.  The Court from The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead.  Who wouldn't want to live in and with Royalty and be surrounded by it in it's own little village?  Plus this is where Rose fell in love with Adrian.  (I know I'm a Dimitri fan, but Adrian is so extremely close.  Between all the love triangles in novels, I usually have a definite and unchangeable favorite, but with the Vampire Academy series I fell for Dimitri first and Adrian second which is probably the reason I'm team Dimitri...I know that was really off topic but I just had to explain why I put on their places were Rose fell in love with two different men). 

9.  Winterhaven from Haven by Krisit Cook.  This is a boarding school for people with psychic abilities...imagine the X-Men academy but cooler with a built in coffee shop, bookstore and movie theater.  Plus you'd have friend who could telepathically pass you the popcorn.   

10. House of the Night from The House of the Night Series by P.C. and Kristin Cast.  This is a school for fledgling vampires where they not only learn their typical subjects but also all about being a vampire and their powers.  

11.  The Seven Kingdom's from Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore.  All of these kingdoms that Kristin Cashore created are magical.  They are beautiful and deadly, just like their residents.   

Sorry I have 11 and not 10, but this was such a good question that I really had to stop myself at 11.  I could have gone on forever.  What are some of your favorite settings?  

4 comments:

  1. I love the Burrow! But then again, I love the whole HP world! Diagon Alley, Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the Burrow! That was always one of my favorite places in that series to read about -- it's all so topsy-turvy and messy, and I'm sure there are great enchantments, like doors that play tricks on you. Plus it would be great to spend time with the whole Weasley clan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I covered almost every place, I think!

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start reading the Vampire Academy series...and Haven! :)
    There's really nothing better than Hogwarts, is there? It made lots of lists this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.