Monday, June 6, 2011

Review of Jinx by Meg Cabot

Title: Jinx
Author: Meg Cabot
Published by: HarperTeen/Listening Library
Pages: 272
Source: Audiobook borrowed from the library
Rating: 4/5

From GoodreadsThe only thing Jean Honeychurch hates more than her boring name (not Jean Marie, or Jeanette, just . . . Jean) is her all-too-appropriate nickname, Jinx. Misfortune seems to follow her everywhere she goes–which is why she’s thrilled to be moving in with her aunt and uncle in New York City. Maybe when she’s halfway across the country, Jinx can finally outrun her bad luck. Or at least escape the havoc she’s caused back in her small hometown. But trouble has definitely followed Jinx to New York. And it’s causing big problems for her cousin Tory, who is not happy to have the family black sheep around. Beautiful, glamorous Tory is hiding a dangerous secret–one that she’s sure Jinx is going to reveal. Jinx is beginning to realize it isn’t just bad luck she’s been running from. It’s something far more sinister . . . and the curse Jinx has lived under since the day she was born might just be the only thing that can save her life.

This novel was a very cute read or in my case a cute listening.  Jean is a very unlucky person.  In fact, she is so unlucky that she has to move to New York because of a 'stalker' in her hometown.  Just when she thinks things will change they just get worse.  It seemes tragedy follows her everywhere including her aunt and uncle's home in New York. 

Jean is a loveable character.  Every has to love the girl who just seems so normal and the next door neighbor type.  She's not popular or what you typically consider pretty.  She is accident prone, clumsy, and definitely lives up to her nickname of Jinx.  I love this about Meg Cabot's writing.  She has a way of not focusing a novel around the rich, beautiful, popular girl, but instead she makes the main character someone we can all relate to.

Tory, Jean's cousin, on the other hand was a horrible person.  I couldn't get over her conviving attitude, rude behavior, and all around psycho-ness.  This is definetly not some I'd want in my life, much less related to.  I'm sure there are people like Tory out there and I can only hope I never run into them.   

The one issue I had with this book is the magic.  I'm not really sure if magic was used or not.  It was implied that magic was real and that it was used in many instances, but Meg Cabot also makes it seem that it couldn't be magic at all. That in fact, it is just a normal chain of events that people assume is magic.  I love books about witches and anything to do with magic I just don't like the unsurity if magic was present or not. 

Overall this was a light and fun read, that I'm sure most people would highly enjoy. 

7 comments:

  1. This book has been up on almost all the blogs i have visited today, i will definately try it. Nice blog you've got by the way,
    http://theseven-piecestone.blogspot.com u should visit mine in your free time.... now following you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one does sound like it could be entertaining reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest review. Thanks. Donna
    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, being unsure was one of the things I didn't like also. And Tory, that girl was just made out of evil. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this but my sister has and she really liked it. I get what you mean about meg cabots characters, it's a welcome change! Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg's books ALWAYS put me in a good mood. I have the first Insatiable, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..What A Feel after reading it.....hmmmm...zack....

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.