Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review of The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Book:  The Lost Hero
Author:  Rick Riordan
Published by:  Hyperion Books for Children
Page:  557

From GoodreadsJason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly? Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out. Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.

Oh I absolutely loved the Percy Jackson series, so I was excited to go back to camp Half-Blood and visit some of my old friends and meet some new ones.  

This book was fast paced, action packed, and full of fun, witty comments.  My new friends Jason, Leo and Piper are Demi-gods who are kind of "amped up" compared to what we were used to.  I had a hard time with this because for me Percy Jackson was the be all Demigod and now there are these new powerful Demigods.

Jason, Leo and Piper are great characters.  They are strong characters who developed more and more with every chapter.  Leo is so funny and will keep you laughing throughout.  Piper is a beautiful individual inside and out, and Jason is strong, but confused.  I really like how Riordan based this series not only on one main hero but on three.  This book was told from each of their view points in alternating sections.  It wasn't confusing like you might think it would be and it worked very well for this novel.  
  
The situations that Jason, Leo and Piper get into are fascinating.  I love how Rick Riordan brings Greek mythology to life.  There are many old stories I remember being told, but Riordan really elaborates on these stories and gives them a new twist.     


If you're looking for a fun, action filled read this is great for all ages.  I give this ★★★★ and 1/2

4 comments:

  1. Great Review! I loved the Percy Jackson Series, but I was a little hesitant about this one, but I think I'll pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually about 16% through this book, and i am loving it, i loved percy jackson series and i am enjoying this one too, though the begginging before they det to camp half-blood was a little ocnfuseing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sound great. Thanks for the thoughtful review. Was this book ever an amazon freebie? I thought I saw it listed, but now I can't remember?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Percy Jackson series!! I'm hoping I can get to this book soon, it sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.