Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review of The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

Book:  The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires #2)
Author:  Rachel Caine
Published by:  Allison & Busby
Pages:  380 


From GoodreadsClaire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favours beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose. 

This book picked up right at the end of the first book.  I really liked that there was no lag time between the books; it's almost as if you never left the story.   

Claire is still the naive sixteen year old trying to fight the evil girls at school along with the evil vampires in town.  I like that even though she is super smart Caine didn't try and make her extremely sophisticated and wise beyond her years.  Instead she kept Claire down to earth and age appropriate.  I also liked the Claire got a little tougher in this novel.  In the first one she just seemed like a scared kid, but in this book she was willing to take some more risks and put herself out there. 

The best thing about this book is the relationship of the four main characters.  They really look out for each other and genuinely care for one another.  These are the type of friends that everyone wishes they had.   

The writing again was nothing to brag about but the action kept you guessing what was going to happen next.  

Overall I give this book ★★★ and 1/2.  

4 comments:

  1. Great review! This series looks really interesting. But I'm not sure I want to invest my time in it, I'm not a huge fan of vampires anyway.

    Maybe I'll try it when I have more time!!!
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the four main characters are terrific. I love Michael in particular. I wish he and Claire would get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of the series before, but it sounds quite interesting. And it's good to hear the main character got a little tougher, since I really hate naive, little brats as m.c. because you have to endure them till the very last page. That can really ruin an entire series.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! I've read the first two books in the series, and liked them. I agree, I really like the main characters. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.