Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thursday's Name Game

Name:  Simon
Gender:  Male
Character From:  The Mortal Instruments series by
Cassandra Clare

Meanings and history of the name Simon: 

  • It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Simon is "to hear, to be heard; reputation". Biblical: Simon was the name of two of the apostles, including Simon Peter.
Personal Experience:
  • None...what about you?
Places name Simon:
  • Simón Bolívar Airport, airport serving the capital city of Venezuela, Caracas
  • Simón Bolívar University in Caracas, Venezuela
Famous real-life people named Simon: 
  • Simon Bolivar, "El Libertador" liberated most of South America from Spain (19th Century)
  • Simon Baker, Australian actor (The Mentalist)
  • Simon Cowell, British music executive and television personality (American Idol)
  • Simon Gallup, Rock Bassist (The Cure)
  • Simon LeBon, British singer-songwriter (Duran Duran) 
Simon in song, story & screen:
  • "Simon Says", children's game
  • "Simple Simon" children's rhyme
  • Simon Bae, character in the Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong
  • Simon from Alvin and the Chipmunks
  • Simon Camden, character in the tv series 7th Heaven

List adapted from www.babynamewizard.com


These are just some I know...what about you?

1 comment:

  1. I don't really like this name very much. It seems sort of weak. I think I would have a hard time buying a strong romantic lead named Simon. I don't know how much was my own feelings about the name or the character himself, but I had a difficult time believing Simon and Clary as a couple in The Mortal Instruments. Simon just isn't a romantic lead kind of name.

    Oh, wait, I have to totally eat my words. Simon was the name of the main guy in The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause and he worked for me. Eh, I guess there's always an exception, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.