Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review of Heist Society by Ally Carter

Book:  Heist Society
Author:  Ally Carter
Published By:   Hyperion Book
Pages:  287

From GoodreadsWhen Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own--scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.

This was a fun, cute read.  I really enjoyed the plot and thought the author did a wonderful job at always keeping me on my toes with unexpected twists and turns.

Carter also did a great job with the characterization.  I got to know more and more about each of the characters, especially Katarina and Hale, as the novel progressed.  It started with just a glimpse of their thief personalities and then grew into who they were as people.  

Carter's writing was fun and flirty with enough of a mystery to keep you wanting more.  I really felt like I was part of the Heist team and was planning a job.  I loved all the details involved in the heist and the unexpected direction each new piece of information took them.  I felt a little like I was in the Thomas Crown Affair.  

I wish there was a little more action and explanation behind the actions that were there.  I sometimes found myself having to reread parts to understand why they were doing a certain mission or maneuver but I guess that's all part of the stealthy game of thievery.   

Overall:  ★★★★     

4 comments:

  1. For some reason l love this cover!
    Thanks for the review, first l have seen on this book.
    Books For Company

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cover too! Sounds like a fun read-- Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too! "Flirty" is a great way to describe it =) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to read this book :) ive heard so many good things about it, and your review does not disappoint! thanks so much for stopping by the other day.... u have a new follower in me :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.