Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review of If I Stay By Gayle Forman

Book:  If I Stay

Author:  Gayle Forman
Published by:  Dutton Juvenile
Pages: 199        

From Goodreads:  In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck... A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.
I've heard a lot of good things about this book so I was excited to read it, but I have to admit I've been putting it off for a while.  I knew there were going to be very sad and tragic parts to this novel and therefore, I had to be in the right mood to read it--kind of like the mood you're in when you want to watch a sappy movie.  I'm glad I waited because this book totally consumed me.  I loved how Forman varied Mia's past memories with that of her current situation.  It seemed like whenever the book got to be too much and I would start to tear up, Forman would switch to a memory of Mia's, often times making me smile or laugh out loud.  This helped me continuing reading this book and not be overwhelmed by sadness.  This book definitely makes you think about if Mia and ultimately yourself (if in this situation) would stay.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.